Thursday, November 01, 2007

Journal Quilt

Now that the Houston Quilt Festival has opened, those of us participating in the final Journal Quilt project are finally allowed to publish photos of our quilts. The quote on the quilt reads:

"The intention is to move as if everything is transition. As if nothing ends."

Here is my statement that went with the quilt:

A Page from My Book:
Journal Quilts 2007 - Journal Quilt Project

Terry Grant
Portland, Oregon
USA

Everything is Transition
Creative Quilting techniques used: Pigma pen writing on quilt (p. 134); stamping on fabric (p. 84); silk screen on fabric (p. 75); bleach discharging (p. 67)

In addition to the techniques I used from Creative Quilting, I used an idea from Anne Copeland (p. 51) for randomly selecting a theme for the quilt. This involved opening a book to page 125 and selecting the third sentence on that page. The quote on my quilt is from the book, Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos.

Since most of my quilts are made from commercially printed fabrics, my challenge for this final Journal Quilt was to create my own fabric prints and gave me the opportunity to try several techniques for creating pattern on plain fabrics. I believe this has opened up new possibilities for me and I was particularly pleased to discover a way to manipulate a pattern to work very specifically for my design, as I did when I created the curved checkerboard motif used to frame the piece.

9 comments:

  1. The arch fabric is so cool. I really admire all your work.
    I put a link on my blog to your JQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fabulous piece - and one of my favorite birds too. The quote is equally wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you already know how I feel about your birds-this is beautifully done. I love the graphic quality of your work and the chalky, softened, colors. That quote kind of works with what I was saying yesterday and I like the way you made it float above the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:48 AM

    You always have such a nice mix of images and text in your blog but this week has been a special feast for the eyes. The dandelion/bee is delicious. Sofia is scrumptious, as always. The journal quilt is a tasty treat, as well.
    I am especially drawn to the dandelion and the bee. It is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have given your Journal Quilt a lot of dimension with the 'woven' arch and the shading. I agree with "Beck", you have shown wonderful treats this week. And thanks for the comment about my JQ, it is very special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a 'pleasing' piece. I have been journal blogging all day and I love the simplicity of this. I am a fan of crows and this is great in my opinion.
    And a fan of yours, I used the photocopy of a face to organza in my 2007 Journal Quilt.
    Carole Grant
    www.wyndhavenartandquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really looking forward to seeing your Journal Quilt and it is wonderful! Your images are always so crisp and memorable. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful journal page!

    ReplyDelete