Friday, February 19, 2010

Wherein I show my true colors

I'm a hypocrite. Look what I got today.  It's an iPhone. I didn't need one. I told everyone that. Just didn't need one. I did, however, need a new phone. My old one was acting really hinky. It didn't ring when I was in my house. It didn't show me that anyone had called. Sometimes it accepted voice mail, sometimes not. So I did need a new phone, but I sure didn't need an iPhone. Then I went to the phone store and they were so tempting and so pretty and really not that expensive. So look what I got.

Ray has had one for several months and here is where I am going to be a hypocrite again. I'm going to tell a story about Ray, just like I said in yesterday's post that I wasn't going to do.  He just loves his iPhone and every time you look at him he is engrossed in it reading email, sending email, looking at youTube videos, etc, etc.  One day we went out to run some errands. I was driving, he was playing with getting some work done on his iPhone. We decided to stop someplace for lunch and I suggested a new restaurant I had seen in my travels around town. So we went and had a delicious lunch and I went to the restroom afterward and I had to stand out in the hall for awhile and wait to get into the restroom.

When I came out we walked out to the car and I noticed that Ray was sort of looking around pretty intently. I said, "you don't have any idea where we are, do you?"  Nope. When we drove there he was so engrossed in his phone that he had paid no attention to where I was driving, or even which direction or how long it took us to get there. He said, "When you didn't come right back from the restroom I started to get worried because I realized that if you were passed out in there, and I had to call 911, I wouldn't have any idea where to tell them to find us."

That, my friends, is the power of the iPhone. And now I have one.

17 comments:

  1. Not to worry. When he IS paying attention, and perhaps even driving, and he doesn't know where he is THEN he is in trouble. It is a terrifying feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny ! my friend has one, and every time i'd look over to talk to her....she'd have her head stuck on the phone playing something.....yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your story!! I am laughing before my morning tea. Unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are still a household of the haves & have nots. My husband is on his constantly "for work" and farming of course! I have been driving more so he can concentrate on the phone since driving was cutting into his texting. He is still trying to talk me into one but my one big question is - who will be driving then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't they come with GPS?
    Or is there an APP for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geeks rule. And now you are one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't decide whether to say "Oh, no" or "It was inevitable." After watching Ray with his last fall it seemed like the logical step for you and yet...

    We got new phones the day before yesterday and have moved up a bit but not to iPhone level. Bill's old phone has been serving very well since 1999 and mine has been less serving since 2005. Bill finally has graduated to a flip-phone. He wanted nothing special. I coveted an Blackberry or iPhone but when faced with need/usage, etc. I could not justify the additional monthly cost. However, my slick new phone does have GPS and some other slick things.

    Enjoy your phone. This posting makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, but the iPhone will tell you where you are. That is one of the fantastic features that I love. I am so glad that you are one of us. Another feature that I had once ignored is the calendar which syncs with my laptop. I am trying to do a better job of keeping track of where I am supposed to be. And the iPhone is better than the gps at telling me how to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of iPhones and restrooms, you must read Gloria Hansen's blog post about saving a wet iPhone.

    http://www.gloriahansen.com/weblog/?p=3402

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, there is also an app that tells you where the nearest cleanest bathroom is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The comments from Christine and Deborah are a priceless coda to a fun post... I SO wish ATT had better coverage here in Maine. Alas, it doesn't, so I'm stuck. I was hoping Verizon (which works well here in the boonies) would go iPhone, but the Droid phone they added is seriously dissing the iPhone, so I am guessing not. SIGH. I WANT ONE.

    And of COURSE Deborah would know about the clean bathroom app! LOLOL! Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course you already know this from Ray and Gerrie's experiences, but you will NEVER regret the fact that you have your new iPhone! I'm still thrilled with mine and use it for almost everything. And yes, the iPhone is great at giving directions....and we love it for checking Atlanta traffic.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a hypocrite, you are pretty mild, but as a story teller, you are darn funny! I have to share "The power of the iPhone" with my iPhone toting hubby. I am a bit of a Luddite, having only an iTouch and very few Roadrunner hotspots where I can use it. You'll appreciate though that even though Verizon has the best coverage for phones here, I am loath to sign up for it because I hate their logo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH dear, and I just sent my iPod Touch back to Amazon and am hoping they remember to credit me for it. I have what grandchild calls a Granny Phone (pay to play, you know, buy time etc.) It's adequate for calling when I need a ride home, and for my GPS I have Jer, who always knows where he is, 'cause he has to drive and absolutely hates phones, particularly cell phones. Now if he ever has to get one...... I'm in trouble.

    And your story of Ray's seemingly concerned comment is so typically Ray that I snorted twice. Geometrically, not arithmetrically.

    Tell him the iPhone tells the 911 operator where he's calling from and if he can see the women's room sign from his seat, he's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure there is an app to tell you where you are. You will never regret getting your new iPhone. I love mine and I am technologically challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You say you didn't need one, but you needed one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I have a love-hate with mine. The damn battery still doesn't last and with all the goings-on here, Nurse Rayna hasn't had time to go back and demand a new one. OTOH - it is wonderful for sitting in doctors' waiting rooms because yes, e-mail. The only problem is that I have no record of my responses because this doesn't sync to my laptop. But the photos come out great - and in the hospital nursery, not having a flash was a good thing. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete