Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So I went shopping


Today I felt like I could slow down and breathe for the first time this year. I did not have a to-do list a mile long and a looming deadline to meet. I hit the ground, running, on January 1 with the word "Thrive" emblazened on the front of my mind and a list in front of me. (I only resort to lists when things get a little dire.) I had deadlines for 4 quilts, a magazine article to write, my part of a book to write and preparations for the QATV tapings, piled one on top of the other, as well as obligations in my real life. Last week's trip to Cleveland and TV taping were the culmination of one of the biggest projects and yesterday I sent off the CD and entry for the last of those quilt deadlines. The writing projects were finished several weeks ago.

Today I have a new list to make, but the schedule is not so pressing and I am looking forward to some time for contemplation and experimentation. I have some ideas that have been simmering, so I went shopping.

Tomorrow the STASH group meets. Today I went to meetings of Columbia Fiberarts Guild in the morning and SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) Oregon in the afternoon. These are the associations that keep me inspired and moving forward.

Remember, nearly a year ago, I told you I had applied, taken the test and been trained to work for the 2010 Census? Then I didn't hear from them. Last week they called and I am going for training for another phase of the Census later this month. It remains to be seen whether they will really have a job for me this time around. Ray now has two consulting jobs and is traveling every week.

My life is so random right now. And really, in a not terrible way, I guess. I thought we were retired, but dang, the whatever-it-was/is-recession/depression-economic-surprise/challenge/crisis-thingie kind of turned retirement into an indulgence we could no longer afford. Interestingly we are both involved in some pretty interesting, exciting stuff now as a result. Some of it pays actual money, some of it just takes our minds off our new-found poverty, but it's all good.

Here's to being busy. I am, but less so for a brief moment, today.

9 comments:

  1. I guess this is sort of a life handing you lemons, so make lemonade type deal. I think the census thing might be interesting, and I'm glad you are still able to make art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally got called. I've been working as a recruiter since Dec. & have given that darn test, I think, 41 times now! I have the part I have to read pretty well memorized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Just been catching up on your blog and read about your problems with the down doonas ie too hot,too cold.
    We had the same problem and solved it by having a quilt each AND swapping to cotton doonas in the summer and wool doonas in the winter. No more down. No more sweaty nights! Could be worth a try?
    Love your blog, thank you for sharing your lovely work.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to click "Like" on this blog. I guess I've been FB-ing too long already. Anyway, it was great to see you, if only briefly, yesterday. I haven't had the nerve to go through my pile of should-enters. And I'm avoiding the SAQA-Oregon question -- it's only March, after all.....

    Georgia and I had a nice chat after the meeting. Jer didn't come until 4 -- Georgia and Laura were much too organized -- so that gave us a chance to catch up. Valuable moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a census worker taking a GPS reading outside my house... not a good experience. I hope your work for them is a better experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think *I* need a deep breath after reading your to do list. :)

    Love your purchases - I've been hugely drawn to oranges and greens lately - not my usual go-to colors.

    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the fabrics in the photo! Are you planning something for them or replenishing your stash? Enjoy your down time. It never lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was busy, but you put me to shame! I feel the same way about lists as you do. There's a lot to be said for minimizing down time I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally, finally, finally am finding the time to tell you how much I love your blog. I feel that when I read, it is almost as if we are in the room talking. Your sense of writing is just wonderful! And hugs to you over "Grace", I loved your story about the shop you bought the cat it. I added you to my blog roll and would be thrilled if you considered adding mine to yours!
    Linda
    www.lmpoole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete