Friday, May 28, 2010

It's not a door knob!

There was nothing to indicate scale in my "object" photos from yesterday and several people were convinced my mystery object is a door knob. No, it absolutely isn't a door knob! It is flat on the bottom, with a carved starburst pattern and far too large and heavy to be used as a door knob. I believe it is nothing more than a paperweight, and perhaps, as Christine suggested, designed to sit in the sunlight and refract light into rainbows of color. I need to find a place to put it where it might get some direct sunlight. Most of our windows face north and south, which won't work very well, but I'll move it around.

3 comments:

  1. I'll vote with Christine. I remember those heavy glass orbs used to reflect rainbows around the room. Maybe someone threw it away in a temper because there was never enough sun in Western Oregon to cast the rainbows.
    Your funny security word on this comment is "kingerip" - you always have the best security words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you come up with a clever way to hang it in a window to maximize the amount of light passing through it? I'm sure you could make a little cage for it, perhaps even out of some invisible material. I love the fact that for some things, beauty is their sole purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had leaded, beveled glass in a bay window in our Kansas house and the rainbows it threw through the formal parlor were a constant joy. The window faced south but because it was bay, it also picked up east and west light. Somedays, I just sat and watched the rainbows as they moved with the sun.

    So find a good place where you can watch the rainbows.

    ReplyDelete