Thursday, May 06, 2010

Oregon Coast

So, here is the glass float piece finished. It measures 25" x 35". You would never know, looking at this photo, really how large or small it is. The glass float is larger than life-size, though I guess there are some pretty big ones. My model was about 8" in diameter. It's a pretty simple piece, both color and detail-wise. A little unusual for me. I enjoyed the process, maybe more than the end product, but I will submit it for the show and see what happens. Like so many things I am tired of looking at it, so I have lost most of my perspective. I was pretty pleased with the way the seafoam worked out. It is always kind of fun to try something different and have it behave as expected. You can see it a bit more closely in the detail, below.

I had a couple questions about the curved quilting using the little cardboard template. A couple people asked how I kept the piece of cardboard in place. I just held it there while I stitched alongside it. Not hard to do. Someone else suggested that I should make my template out of freezer paper and iron it down. Look at this thing! That's a lot of ironing and stitching and peeling and ironing and stitching and peeling and ... Unnecessary. The cardboard template is easy—really.

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding the attack robin. Somebody suggested borrowing a BB gun. Whoa! You want me to shoot my eye out?! So far today the robin has been quietly sitting on the nest. If she (I'm now thinking it's a "she" since she is sitting on the nest) commences attacking the window again my next strategy will be to lower the blinds, though I hate to lose the light and the view.

14 comments:

  1. I love this piece. They were hiding floats here in Gold Beach this spring and I was not successful in finding one... :-( I think this is a very lovely simple piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice.

    And I love Cayo's market piece as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:51 PM

    Oh, this is lovely, the quilting is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:04 PM

    The glass float feels real--I love this piece!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Terry. It doesn't have your characteristic black outlines yet the contrasts are so striking. Your quilting lines on the background really define the ripples of sand -- and I think the seafoam turned out beautifully! I think once you have time away from this you will love it.

    As for your bird friend, I wonder if she is drawn to reflections in your window and can't tell it's a window? Any chance you could hang something in front of the window to create some foreground objections for her? When I was a kid, we lived in a house that had pyracantha bushes all around and the robins LOVED those intoxicating berries. They flew into the my bedroom window all the time-- drunk and then mistaking the reflection for the actual sky, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm, yumm, yumm. This quilt is absolutely beautiful. A design that I want to look at for hours, days, months. Love it.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so in awe of your talent that I can hardly think of what to say. You've captured the peaceful shoreline and the beauty of those globes perfectly and right down to the foam. So, so, beautiful Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your process and frustration with this Terry. I think it is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terry,

    I have never seen a glass float but I love your new quilt. I love the textured lines of the quilting, and your idea for the cheesecloth was brilliant! It really looks like sea foam. I really like your recent pine cone quilt, too. Actually I love all your work.

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is so clever. The glass float works brilliantly and I just love the curved quilting lines.
    Maybe now your Robin is sitting on the nest things will be quieter. Once the eggs hatch she'll be up and about again more - but will be looking for food and not nesting materials. Maybe your windows are just too clean!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Love the quilt.
    Try hanging a couple of CD discs from some nylon thread in front of the window. They reflect the light, shiny, and moving. It might distract her from flying into them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:53 AM

    I have been watching this quilt develop and it is lovely. It is also intriguing to me as a needlepointer. I think this design would make a great needlepoint adaptation. I would like your permission to try and adapt this piece to needlepoint. I will be happy to keep you apprised of my progress.

    ReplyDelete