Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Finished


The starling is finished and ready to go to the Audubon sale. I painted the edges of the little gallery-wrapped canvas black. Kelly asked how I was going to attach it to the canvas. Glue.

June said she liked the bird better before the stitching. Yeah, I know what you mean, June. I always like the really stark, graphic look of the unstitched fabrics too. I never know exactly what stitching will do to the work. Usually it really does make it better. In this case, maybe not.  Maybe not worse, but certainly different. There was something really kind of grabby about the initial, beginning, unworked fabric. Remember?

Judy liked the blue background the best. The photo is not good. That background fabric is actually green and it was the fabric I really thought I would like the best from the very beginning. (It's a dandy print, isn't it? I have it in two colorways and I adore both.) But when I tried it out I felt like it was really too much pattern and kind of swallowed the bird. Also kind of a different character about that print from the bird and its prints. I like that background piece that I used. And I can thank my friend Jeri for that. She seems to find these incredible prints, but she never uses them and ends up giving them to me. So for the sake of protecting one of my best sources, I am not telling you her last name or where she lives!

21 comments:

  1. Ha! I agree with June and since she said it, I will concur. I loved the grenn/blue background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the fabric looked familar, but was probably too wrapped up in my emotional state regarding the subject you chose to ask. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought that starlings in thier speckled state are beautiful. I think it looks great and yes, unstitched was good but ah well, it is what it is. Had we not seen the earlier version who would of known!! Glad I did not have to make a decision about the background fabric - I would still be hemming and hawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such mixed feelings about starlings...pests! but beautiful pests (V Wolfe comments about their flocks being nets of a thousand knots). This piece is just gorgeous and I begrudgingly appreciate the starling for inspiring you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful all finished. I like the blue/green fabric but agree that it didn't play well with the more graphic qualities of the fabrics in the bird. Perhaps it will play more nicely with a pretty bowl? I can't imagine any fabric languishing too lonely at your house.

    Mounting the little quilt on the canvas gives it such presence. I'm finding that I like more and more small pieces displayed this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. --snort-- particularly about the source of that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too loved the blue/green(?) fabric. It turned out nice with this one too. What kind of glue do you use? Would you consider stitching it to the canvas - by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used white, tacky glue to glue it to the canvas. I think it would be hard to sew it to the canvas, which I got already stretched. I wanted it to be very flat and flush with the canvas with no loose edges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it! Background, stitching, and all. Even though I'm not a starling fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always liked your birds. This one seems a departure that I like very much. I agree with June re the eye. I was drawn to the eye before it was stitched. But, what I really like about this piece is the use of the different fabrics. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so hoping you'd pick the pink. I always see a pinkish iridescence when I look at starlings. Eye defect?
    Anyway, it's turned out great. Now that know you collect these teeny prints I'll start a "Terry" box. No scrap too small.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's beautiful! I think you choose the background well, it doesn't compete with the starling but enhances it. I like the before stitching too but not better, with stitching and the choice of background it's more sophisticated. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks so much for responding. I'm having the hardest time knowing how to best mount some of my small pieces!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how this turned out, Terry. The background you chose gives it a wonderful fall mood (how appropriate) and sets off the black beautifully -- doesn't compete with the bird.

    It was fun to see how the bird looked against different backgrounds but as usual I agree with your decision - your eye is excellent and I think we share an attraction to strong, graphic looks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked the blue background too - but I really LOVED the one you chose in the end. This is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like it, Terry! Where is this Audobon sale? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it and the stitching.
    I need to do some small pieces, so I can practice art stitches.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a great idea to have the quilt stretched on the canves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it turned out quite wonderfully. LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the background you used turned out great, especially with the extra color you added. It's a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors and details!

    ReplyDelete