Friday, October 29, 2010

Idaho, continued

There is something very special about going to "the cabin."  I have reported on a trip to the cabin here before.  It was late in the season and very cold when we arrived this time. Steve, my brother, got a fire going and we settled in and started cooking. That is one of the main things we do at the cabin—cook—and eat. It is a small cabin, hanging on a hillside overlooking the Palisades reservoir in south eastern Idaho, near the Wyoming border. My parents designed it, my Dad built it in the early '60s. My brother now owns the cabin, but it remains so much as I remember it always. My parents both died in 1998. The cabin is where they live on.


Mom and Dad didn't live to see the new generation of our family, but it seemed important to bring Sofia and Marco to the cabin. Aunt Brenda was prepared.
She introduced Marco to Oliver, the dog.

She entertained Sofia with a pumpkin painting activity. Brenda, our sister-in-law, is the best. We love her dearly.


 After a hearty breakfast the next morning, Ray and Steve did the dishes, then, with Cayo's help they cut down a tree and cut it into firewood. The cabin brings out the lumberjack in the menfolk.


We woke up to a skiff of snow on the porch, frosting the recently fallen aspen leaves. Views from the porch:


Beauty, peace, serenity in every season. It is one of the best places on earth to be for me.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds so wonderful. I love places like this. And time with siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely, lovely photos. Thank you so much for sharing. One of my favorite parts of our trips to Montana and Wyoming to visit family is going through Idaho. I've always thought it was so beautiful!!! I love the Pacific Northwest so much, but Idaho would be my second choice of a place to live!

    ;~) Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures! And I'm so relieved to see someone else call it a "skiff of snow". I grew up in southeastern Washington and I seem to be the only person who's heard the work "skiff".

    ReplyDelete