Saturday, December 22, 2012

Whew!

Escaped another prophesied End-of-the-World. If the world ever does end it will probably take us all by surprise. On Friday I took a little detour on my way to walk and drove up Cooper Mountain to see if the rest of the world looked to be intact. It did.


Misty, cold and December-ish. Just as it should be.

I am ready for Christmas. Well, I still need to go grocery shopping tomorrow, but that's just normal. Emily requested salmon for Christmas dinner and that sounds great to me. Both my kids were vegetarians for years, but they ate fish, so salmon was our Christmas dinner tradition for years. I've gotten away from it lately, but it sounds perfect. And easy. My hearing is returning little by little. We had some good friends for dinner on Thursday and I made pork tacos with homemade tortillas, a jicama/orange salad and black beans cooked in beer. The food was extra good, in my humble opinion, and we had margaritas and decadent dessert and lots of great conversation and laughter and at the end of the evening I discovered that my ears had cleared considerably during the evening. It was a winning combination apparently. I will remember that for future reference.


My friend Muriel sent these this week. I certainly don't need any more Christmas decorations, but I loved these guys the moment I set eyes on them. This is the kind of design that I wish my brain could conceive. The simplicity of a wooden dowel sawed at an angle. That angled cut and the resulting oval create a hat, a beard and a face in one clean plane. Genius really. A little tag on the bottom says they are from Sweden. I could have guessed that.

Don't know if I'll be back here before Christmas, but I will have a post on the Sketchbook Challenge blog on Monday. I'll be here, cooking, wrapping and humming Christmas carols along with the radio. I trust you are doing pretty much the same.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, salmon for Christmas dinner -- that sounds yummy. I haven't yet settled on a "Christmas Dinner." I do turkey for Thanksgiving so I'm not up for it at Xmas. I'm not a big ham person. We tried roast and Yorkshire pudding one year.

    I have a slightly more naturalistic version of your Swedish Santas. They are painted on a bit of birch branch. I bought them from a Kindergarten holiday bazaar in Germany.

    Have a very Merry Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorting and purging the studio is my agenda, and if there is going to be food in the house that will be up to Ron. We have been invited out, so it isn't like I am completely ignoring the holidays. Gifts were already wrapped and mailed. Dinner was delish!!!! Thanks for having us over. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to all of the Grant family. Enjoy the peace and warmth of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Terry! I hope Santa brings you something nice and an end to your ear trouble. Those santas are really cute - and your dinner sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete